BYU Football

BYU Football

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thanks Florida! Thanks for nothing!

Well I know that I havn't wrote a post for a while, and that's partially do to the fact that I have been dead all week, and just pretty busy all the time. But yes Seth is actually writing a post right now believe it or not.

-Thanks Florida! Thanks for nothing!-

Unbelievable!! That's the only word that can describe my mission call! First off, I have to explain how the "Thanks Florida! Thanks for nothing" came about even though most of you already know. Sara and I were talking about the Florida primaries the day after it took place, and she was talking about a friends blog and how upset he gets about the whole thing! Anyways, he wrote this huge thing on Florida and how Mccain was just playing a game to get the people. He just sounded SO MAD at Florida. Than finally at the end of his post he writes "Thanks Florida! Thanks for nothing"!! Me and Sara laughed for SO long about this, and it was so funny! So basically that's why I wrote about it in my blog, and I guess Jamie is going to say that everytime she talks to me because she thinks it's the funniest thing in the world that I said that the day before my call! So, basically the whole family and a lot of friends already know where i'm going, but for those who don't know, i'm going to Jacksonville, Florida!!! The night before I got the call, Wayne and I spent the night at Nate's(at the house he was sitting), and we had a great time playing pool, hot tubbing, and just talking. Than the day after, mom calls at like 12 and is flippin out because the neighbors said the mail came! So she wanted me to come home as fast as possible and check it! So me and Nate drove home, and I went and checked the mail, and sure enough there's a letter from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints to Elder Seth Mark Probert! Nate saw it, and I just gave him a hug, than I looked down at the letter and was kind of in shock, knowing that this was it. This is what I have been waiting my whole life for and I just started getting really excited about everything. Mom, came home like five minutes later and I showed her the letter, and she got SO EXCITED and just came up and gave me a hug! Mom started calling everyone telling them "we" got the call and that we're going to open it soon. I went upstairs and had some personal time to read and pray than to listen to somet good music that would bring the spirit to me. I went back downstairs, and I was just pacing everywhere. I couldn't stop moving I was so excited!! Kaylie and dad finally came home, and than we got all (I think it was like 7 or 8 connections to everybody in the family and it was time. Kaylie and Nate both had two phones held up to me, Mom and the speaker phone on the home and her cell phone and than dad had a phone, and Wayne was taking pictures. I opened the letter, and put the cover in front of the letter so I wouldn't look straight down to where I was going. I proceeded to read. As I was reading the first line, I started to feel the power of the calling, and it just overcame me knowing that I was called to serve not only for the church but for God. I than went onto the second line and read "You are assigned to labor in the Florida Jacksonville Mission! That is where the Lord wants me at this time in the world, and I know that there is nowhere else that I should be! I don't know if any of the family could tell on the phones, but yes I started tearing up a little as I read it because it was just overwhelming! I am ready to serve the Lord, and to teach people of the Restored Gospel on the earth today, and to have them receive the same blessings that I have! It's a little different when you tell your mom or dad where you're going on your mission than when you tell a high school buddy where you're going. Mom and dad know how to look at it, with faith in the Lord and knowing that I was called of God to serve in Florida. When I tell a friend from school (Lebanon in particular) they seem to look at it on the outward sides of things instead of spiritual. They don't understand that I am going there to serve The God Almighty, and that everything I am doing there is for him, especially when they say (Man your mission is WAY better than Jakes and Mckays, you get the weather AND the babes) No mission is better than any other mission. You are meant for your own mission and meant to have your own experience to help you grow spiritual. Also, it doesn't matter where you go at all, how the weather is like, what the people are like, it just matters that we are filled with the spirit of the Holy Ghost to help us reach out to those people and help them understand the gospel of Jesus Christ! To end about the mission call, basically I just can't wait. I already know that it is going to be really hard and that I need to be obediant in everyway, but sometimes even though you "Think" you know things you have to keep being told them over and over again to remind you. So I think i'm going to be talking to my family a lot about the mission, and maybe an outlook of the whole thing. Thanks for all the guidance you have already given me, and the love and care you have always shown for me. Sometimes, in the family I kind of feel the I am praised WAY TOO MUCH...not saying I don't like it, but I really feel inadequate for the things I am given sometimes and really for the things people say to me!

-Onto WORK-

WOW!!! Well, I got a job through Selectemp for at least two weeks but it could be up to a month! I'm working at Mary's River Lumbermill at $11.72 an hour. This week was so hard. It's a hard job in general, but I think it was harder because I ahvn't really been doing much other than waiting for the mission call and looking for a job, so I was kind of relaxing. Going from relaxing to this is a pretty big step! So, I worked monday through Friday this week. I get up at around 4:00 A.M. and eat and get ready for work (put on like 4 sweatshirts and two pants, than two gloves and steel toed boots. I than leave at around 4:45, and head to Philomath(well the mill is actually past Philomath) and I start work at 5:50, and the WHOLE day ALL I do is stac 1x6 boards in columns of ten and rows of seven 4 times than a column of eight, than I puch my cart out and the forklift comes and takes it and than I pull the cart back in and do the same thing all over again ALL DAY! The wood comes down a conveyer belt, and I deal with the 2 wood (which is the best wood) There are about 7 people on the line of the conveyer belt. Their is a guy at the front flipping them over so there not all scattered, than there is a guy marking them to tell whether they are 3 woods or 2 woods, than there are two people throwing away the wood that is no good. Than there is a guy that does the 4 woods, which usually has a lot of holes in them, but it's good enough to be stacked. Than there is another guy in front of me who does the 3 woods, which are the ones with have really big knots on them, usually a couple of big ones actually, than there comes to me all the 2 woods and let me tell you, MOST of the wood that comes through is 2 woods, and I think the manager knew that I was a newbie and wanted to kill me or something because it is so tough, and it gets pretty crazy sometimes when theres like 50 2 woods right in a row and I have to stack a bunch REALLY fast. But anyways, I get a 15 minute break at 9, than lunch break at 11:30, than one more break at 2:30, than i'm done at 4:30 and I get home at about 5:30. Once I get home I kind of just relax until about 8:00 when everyone is home and talk to the family for a bit, and I try to get to bed around 9:00. No social life really all week, but I guess it can be worth it because I think I made somewhere around $650 last week. I don't talk to anyone at work because it's so loud in there and everyone where's earplugs, well I guess I do talk to someone, myself, and sing a lot to myself, than I just think about everything, Florida, Family, Mitt Romney, etc. I think 3 out of the 5 nights I slept last week I drempt about work...HORRIBLE, it was like I wouldn't get away from stacking wood, ha! Well I am done with this job whenever they don't need me anymore, and they don't know when that is yet. I think it is really funny that the manager didn't know my name until yesterday, and I don't know how they know the people are there because you don't check in anywhere and you basically don't talk to anyone, but I guess they got something going. So after this job, i'm wanting to work with Nate somewhere because I think that would be a lot of fun to live with Nate and than work with him, and we could just talk about everything.

Other than work and the mission call I have just been around the family and hanging out with Wayne basically. I actually went rollerblading the last two nights, which always brings back some good memories. Everyone has to go rollerblading this month. It will feel weird at the start, but than you'll start skating, and LOVE it! It's seriously so much fun!

Church basketball didn't go to well this last week. ALthough our team is 3-0, which two of those are forfiets, we played last weekend, which actually wasn't the team we were supposed to face, so we already had a win, but me and Wayne still treated it like any other game. Me and wayne bought some chocolate milk to have during the game and some donuts for the players after they won. But man, this game was pretty intense. Brother Gabell Reffed for us, and I think he purposely made the game closer than it should have been (since refs can really do whatever they want with a game). So it came down to about 2 minutes left and we're down about one, and it's just going back and forth, and me and Wayne are flipping out. Calling time out left and right and getting our players pumped and focused and making them believe in themselves and that they can do it. We drew up some plays the entire game, but anyways, we ended up being down 4 with 9 seconds left and we drew up a play for Tysen to shoot a three because he was on all night, and it worked PERFECTLY, and he swished the three with 3 seconds left, and we called timeout. We were down one with 3 seconds left and their ball, so I just told them DON'T LET THEM GET THE BALL, do whatever you have to do, but if they do get the ball foul them. Well that just did not happen, they got the ball made a quick pass and ran out the clock. WE LOST!!!!! That was mine and Waynes FIRST church ball loss in like 8 years. You would think, well it's church ball in Oregon so it's not even big, but me and Wayne were actually pretty upset and just couldn't believe it!!! So that was that...me and Wayne actually ended up staying and playing some basketball with the Evans and some other people showed up to play! I got my first dunk OVER someone...it was pretty sweet, but than I felt really bad at the same time. Some swimmers from the high school came over and played with us, so I got the ball and drove to the hoop and two guys tried to stop me and I jumped over them and slammed it home..ha, I came to the ground the looked and both of them were just laying on the ground. At first I was like, I can't believe I actually did it, but than I saw one of the guys glasses on the ground, and felt really bad because they were bent slightly, so I talked to the guy for a while saying sorry and everything and everything turned out good! I don't know why I explained that whole story, I guess I was just excited that I actually dunked over someone.

K well, this is really long, and I seem to have pattern already of not writing in my blog for a while, than just going all out! So I don't know whether or not i'll keep it up much, but yes I will write in it when I am feeling it! SO whoever ACTUALLY read this whole thing, thanks, and please leave a comment because I love them.

I love you all, and thanks for everything you have done in helping me grow in one way or another, whether you are family or friend, or just someone reading this. Until next time!!

Thanks Florida! Thanks for nothing!

2 comments:

JAMIE said...

Thanks Florida, Thanks for nothing! I am so glad that you finally decided to write and tell us all from your view about the mission call.
I know we all put a lot of pressure on you, but I hope that you were able to take in the moment and not be too concerned about the rest of it. It sounds like you had a good little quite time to yourself before, which is good.

Interesting what you put about telling your friends. People who don't know the church or don't know missions really can't understand what you are doing. I would tell people all the time that I could not talk to my family and date and stuff while on the mission. They thought I was crazy and really didn't beleive me.

You will feel even more once you are out there that this mission was PERFECT for you. People you will meet will somehow connect just to you, it is the best feeling ever. You have had several pre-mission experiences living in oregon and i love that.

Hard labor---yikes, don't get hurt bro...SOUnd like you get paid pretty well for what you do. 4 am, talk about preparing you for amisison. You are going to think sleeping in until 6 is like heaven.

I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. We need uncle Set time. Andy is a different person, you won't beleive it.

I love you bro and am so proud of you. you need to call me while you still can. OK.

H-less said...

Oh' I can hear you and jamie saying thanks florida and I just laugh out loud.

I am so excited for you that you already have a confirmation that you are going where the Lord would have you. A lot of missionaries don't get that until they are in the field. Once you are there the feelings will only get stronger that you are really at the right place.

Thank you for sharing your excitement and willingness to serve the Lord. You are such an example Seth and your serving is going to effect our entire family.

I loved thinking of mom calling and saying the mail came...as if I can believe she didn't check it. And then calling and saying "we" got the call. Oh' I love it.

Spence and I cracked up thinking of you talking and singing to yourself at your work and then dad saying "it's good, you don't need a social life". Oh' you are really going to start off your mission with some great memories. The best habit, getting up early.

I'll be honest, I'm saving the last paragraphs for tomorrow, the one that started with Wayne and basketball, I caught the drift that you lost a game but will come back and read it later. Hey, what's a person got if they don't have their honesty. I love you Seffy. Thanks for finally posting again.